The U-Go Scholar Grant aims to help young women from economically-disadvantaged backgrounds to pursue higher education. A partnership between education start-up U-Go and Ayala Foundation, the program provided grants to 120 women in its initial batch. It hopes to expand to at least 1,000 recipients in the medium term.
The Philippines is the seventh country where U-Go operates, following Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, and Vietnam.
Apply for the 2023 cohort by visiting afi.ph/u-go-apply Applications close on April 21, 2023 (Friday) at 12:00 noon, Philippine Standard Time
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the U-Go scholar grant?
- The grant helps ambitious and promising young women pursue higher education by providing financial assistance.
What are the qualifications for a scholar?
- Filipino citizen
- Incoming first-year, second-year, or third-year college students for SY 23-24. Incoming fourth-year students for SY 23-24 may apply only if they are taking a five-year course. Students who are expecting to graduate SY 23-24 cannot apply.
- Enrolling in a public or state university/college for SY 23-24.
- With a desire to excel and a minimum GPA of 85% (or equivalent)
- An active member of her community
- Without any disciplinary or administrative cases
- Aspires to bring positive change to society
- A model of integrity in the community
- With proof of financial need
What school year will the scholar grant cover?
- The grant will be given starting SY2023-24. It will renew annually as long as the scholar meets the conditions of the grant.
What documents should I prepare for my application?
- Current Official Certificate of Registration/Enrollment signed by registrar
- Parent’s ITR or Certificate of Indigency
- Latest copy of grades
- If available
- Recent copy of electric or water bill
- If shortlisted for the grant
Our grades have not been released yet. What documents can I submit?
- You may submit the most recent copy of your grades.
Do I really need to submit all requirements?
- Yes. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
I am enrolled in a private university/college. Can I apply?
- No. The grant is only for those who will enroll or are currently enrolled in public or state universities and colleges.
Can men apply for this grant?
- No. At the moment, the grant is only for women.
I am currently a Grade 12 student. Can I apply?
- Yes. You must intend to enroll in a public or state university or college in School Year 2023-2024.
Is there a minimum grade requirement to be eligible for the grant?
- Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 85% (or your school’s equivalent)
Is this open to all courses?
- Yes. All courses will be given equal priority in the application process.
Is this open to all year levels?
- No. It is only open to the following:
- Incoming first-year, second-year, or third-year college students for SY 23-24. Incoming fourth-year students for SY 23-24 may apply only if they are taking a five-year course.
- Graduating students cannot apply
Can masters/doctoral students apply?
- No. The grant is only for undergraduate applicants.
Do you have scholarships for grade school/high school students?
- No. We do not have any scholarships available for grade school/high school students at the moment.
Is there an age limit?
- No. However, the grant is only for applicants taking undergraduate courses.
What areas are included in the grant coverage?
- The grant is open to female Filipino students enrolling in a public or state university/college in the Philippines.
Do I have to submit a recommendation letter?
- Only those who are shortlisted for the grant need to submit a recommendation letter as part of the second stage of the application process.
Who can give me a recommendation?
- The recommendation letter must come from someone who knows you well and can talk about your background, work ethic, and academic or job performance.
- Those who can submit a recommendation for you include, but are not limited to, a parish priest, pastor, teacher, guidance counselor, employer, or mentor.
- Your relatives cannot submit a recommendation letter for you.
What should a recommendation letter contain?
- There is no exact format for the letter but it must contain information about your background and why you deserve this grant.
How will I know the results of my application?
- All applicants will receive a decision letter by email. Please check your spam mailbox in case you do not receive the decision.
Why was I not chosen as a scholar?
- Owing to the large volume of applications received and the competitive nature of the program, only the top applicants will be offered grants.
Can I appeal the decision?
- The decision of the selection committee is final and may not be appealed. The U-Go team will not be able to provide feedback on individual applications.
I already have an existing scholarship, can I still apply?
- No. Those with existing scholarships may not apply.
I applied last year but was not chosen for the grant. Can I apply again?
- Yes, you may apply again.
How will I know if I have been accepted to the program?
- All applicants will receive an email with the results of their application
When is the deadline for submitting my application?
- Complete applications must be submitted by April 21, 2023 (Friday), 12 noon Philippine Standard Time.
Where do I apply and submit documents?
Where do I get more information?